The Five Best Side Dishes to Serve With Barbecue or Grilled Food

I love barbecue. By barbecue I mean, smoked meats, like spare ribs, pork shoulder, brisket or chicken. I also love grilled food. By grilled food, I mean burgers, steaks, brats, chicken and those sort of things. To go along with these delicacies, and to make a complete meal are side-dishes. Here are five sides that I like to serve whenever I have a get together and I am serving either smoked or grilled foods. These are all also super easy. So what if you start with some canned ingredients, the important thing is the outcome. Nothing wrong with doctoring things up a bit!

  1. Nacho Cheese Dip and Chips: This dip and chips have been made this way as long as I can remember in St. Louis, or at least forty years. A box of Velveeta Cheese, and a can of Rotel brand tomato with hot peppers. Melt the cheese and stir in the tomatoes in the microwave. Serve hot, with a good quality restaurant style corn chip or corn chip "scoops". People love, I mean love this, and it is so simple. I usually add an extra fresh jalapeno or a habanero if I have one.
  2. Baked Beans: I use my Mom's recipe, and many people in the St. Louis area make baked beans the same way. I always thought my Moms were the best, until I started making them. Now, mine are the best. I start with a few cans of pork & beans, usually Campbell's, and doctor them up with ketchup, brown sugar, onions, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and bacon. My secret ingredient is a big pinch of cayenne pepper.
  3. Potato Salad: potato salad with egg is what we like the best. Nice and tangy, with just a little bite.
  4. Cole Slaw: Cole slaw with a vinegar dressing is the preferred choice. If using a mayonnaise based dressing, light on the mayo is best.
  5. Home Made Ice Cream: Who doesn't love home-made ice cream. It is so easy to make, but gets the most compliments. People ask me before they come over if I'm making ice cream for dessert. I use on of the simple tub freezers that you can buy for about 45$. Braun, Cuisinart, even Black & Decker make them. I use real fresh heavy whipping cream and fresh milk. Do not go cheap on the vanilla. Spend the extra few bucks for the "real" vanilla not the artificial. You'll be glad you did, as there is a noticeable difference in taste.

Barbecue

If you serve these five side dishes at your next barbecue or cookout, your friends will be raving at how good a cook you are. No need to tell them how easy they were to prepare.

The Five Best Side Dishes to Serve With Barbecue or Grilled Food

If you would like a free recipe for Carolina Style Sauce and more information on Smoked Barbecue, click here: http://www.bbq-jim.com. Jim Hess is an expert author who loves to cook, eat and write about real barbecue (and meat grilling). Click here to see much more http://www.bbq-jim.com

Recommend : Steak Recipe BBQ Recipe